RetroFE is an open-source frontend that I created for arcade cabinets and media PCs to help you navigate through your collection of games and movies.
Visit www.retrofe.com for details.
Changes from 4.1.1 to 4.2.6
HyperSpin List Generator
- Clone manager! (Yes! a clone manager!)
- Added menu option to show and hide your parents and clones
- Enhanced filtering (now an expandable side panel)
- Now even easier to filter, show, and hide columns
- DAT file support!
- Fixed bug where tool would report it could not find CRCs when they actually existed in the XML file (thanks to relic for finding this).
- (Special thanks to Rain for his dat API)
- Color coding based on CRC status.
New tool – DAT to HyperList Creator
- Pass in a DAT file and it will spit out a XML file.
The tutorial is now up!
Changes from 4.0.12 to 4.1.1
- Auto-generation of mamelist.xml file (no need to manually generate this anymore)!
- Adding in columns for artwork1-4, save state support, pixel width, height, palette size, and display type
- Added watermark when XML file is generated
- Adding checking to ensure source file and output file are not the same
- Added confirm close dialog when exiting
Don’s HyperSpin Tools 4.0 is now officially marked stable! Managing your lists with this release are now easier than ever! The list generator UI has been rebuilt entirely from scratch.
A picture is worth a thousand words:
- Built-in video player to watch games while you filter through your lists!
- New interface! Everything is now one filterable table! No more source, output, and ignore tabs
- Create your own filters and “views”
- Faster file scanning algorithm
- Color coded columns
- Description column is now frozen to make it easier to browse other columns
- Each column now has its own filter at the top of each column
- Right click to add/remove games to your list
- Quick keyboard shortcuts to add/remove games to your list
- Extended search support for year, player, and button filters
- Easier to understand configuration fields
- Right click on the table to show/hide columns
- Tooltips for instructions
- Column for horizontal /vertical screen orientation
- And more!
I am hoping to get a beta out later this week, early next week at the latest. Who is interested in testing it?
- Added new list splitting tool (replaces genre tool). You can now split an XML file by Manufacturer, Genre, Year, and Rating.
- mamelist.xml text box field now clears out when creating new configs.
New features include:
- CHD audit support (checks that a folder exists in the MAME ROM directory).
- Addded a tool to split an XML list into multiple XML lists based on genre.
- Zip file now contains pre-downloaded HyperLists (source lists).
- Debug/Logging support – Enable debugging in help->debugging. After you’re done, you can click File -> Save debug. This will provide valuable information for troubleshooting user problems.
- Ability to change configuration after scanning (Message now pops up with warning about unsaved changes). It has been a pain for myself (and others) to click on file->new or file->load configuration to restart everything.
- Fixed race condition with the HyperSpin Wheel dropdown not updating when loading a configuration file.
- Error message cleanup.
- Refactored API to be more accommodating for 3.0 additions (for multi-exe merge tool and genre xml auto-generation support; all transparent to you).
It’s finally here! Click here to download it.
Here is a list of new features:
- Completely new user interface (it was needed for the new features).
- Ability to load in your existing HyperSpin XML file into your favorites.
- Table-based design. You can sort by any column, and move the columns around (Just like an excel spreadsheet). Want to hide all your BIOS images? Sort by Genre, select all the BIOS games then move them to the exclude list!
- See the size of games in your list.
- You can now see game descriptions, genre, clone information, year, manufacturer, rating, and whether the game could be found for each list.
- Built-in auditor while customizing your list. Easily see which games are missing wheels, artwork, and themes.
- Searching! Search the names/descriptions for a particular keyword (e.g. search for “Metal Slug” or “(USA)”).
- Inverted searching! Only show the list of games that do NOT match the given search string.
- Misnamed/Missing auditor – Find out which games exist in your directory and are not in your HyperSpin list; or find out what games in the HyperSpin masterlist that could not be found.
- Changed some terminology. (Exclude is now known as Ignored, Custom is know known as Favorites).
- Added descriptions to help with the user experience.
I stumbled on an old program that I wrote and figured it would be worth sharing. BeaNES is a Nintendo emulator written in Java. This was written back in 2007 for a project of our choosing back when I was in college. My goal was to see how well an emulator could run in Java. While it “barely” has sound support, it’s still nice to look back on as a reference on how to make an emulator. I doubt I will do any future releases on this project since there are already many excellent NES emulators out there. Click here to check out the project page.
Changes in 1.0:
- Added a progress bar.
- Added right-click option to scan/autoselect ROMs in your list that are not in the master list.
- Added a prompt to remind you to save your config file before closing.
- Added check to make sure you are not overwriting your master list when exporting.
- Added resize and scrolling support for the windows.
- Internal code cleanup.
Click here to go to the project page.